WHITEWATER TOWNSHIP, Wis. - An 11-year-old Delavan girl was killed and a teenage girl was critically injured in a crash near Whitewater Wednesday night, according to the Walworth County Sheriff's Office.
Avery McCarthy was killed in the crash, and Cierra Yakes, 17, of Darien, was critically injured and flown from the scene, according to deputies.
Deputies responded to Highway 89 south of Island Road in Whitewater Township at 6:15 p.m. for a report of a single-vehicle crash.
Investigators said a car had left the road and struck a utility pole.
The driver of the car, Jadrian Ochoa, 17, of Delavan, was able to get out, according to deputies. McCarthy and Yakes were trapped and had to be extricated.
Investigators said neither alcohol nor drugs are suspected of contributing to the crash.
Highway 89 was closed for three hours during the crash investigation.
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK
- Phone scammer claims to be MPD Chief Mike Koval, officials say
- Icy Dane County road causes nearly 40-car pileup, officials say
- Man, woman caught selling stolen bike on Craigslist, police say
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Police: Teens try to open Madison girl's car door, flash gun at her