SHARON, Wis. - An 11-year-old boy shot in the head in rural Walworth County on Wednesday has been identified as Eric Gutierrez.
The Walworth County Coroner's Office said Thursday morning that Gutierrez is brain dead and on life support.
Walworth County sheriff's deputies and the Sharon Police Department responded to reports of a person shot in the head in a wooded area behind N1602 County Road K just after 12:30 p.m., officials said.
When crews arrived they found Gutierrez with a head wound, officials said. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville.
Investigators said a 13-year-old witness has been interviewed and a handgun has been found, along with other pieces of evidence.
The sheriff's office said a donation website has been set up for Gutierrez' family.
- UW-Madison chosen to test autonomous vehicles
- Woman pinned in van after crash with ambulance on Hwy. 12
- Increase in garage burglaries reported in Sun Prairie
- Man accused of trying to kill unborn child in Wis. arrested in NY
- Two men charged with armed robbery in Monroe
- Crews deal with dwindling salt supply, funds amid icy winter