SHARON, Wis. - An 11-year-old boy shot in the head in rural Walworth County on Wednesday has been identified as Eric Gutierrez.
The Walworth County Coroner's Office said Thursday morning that Gutierrez is brain dead and on life support.
Walworth County sheriff's deputies and the Sharon Police Department responded to reports of a person shot in the head in a wooded area behind N1602 County Road K just after 12:30 p.m., officials said.
When crews arrived they found Gutierrez with a head wound, officials said. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville.
Investigators said a 13-year-old witness has been interviewed and a handgun has been found, along with other pieces of evidence.
The sheriff's office said a donation website has been set up for Gutierrez' family.
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire