SHARON, Wis. - An 11-year-old boy shot in the head in rural Walworth County on Wednesday has been identified as Eric Gutierrez.
The Walworth County Coroner's Office said Thursday morning that Gutierrez is brain dead and on life support.
Walworth County sheriff's deputies and the Sharon Police Department responded to reports of a person shot in the head in a wooded area behind N1602 County Road K just after 12:30 p.m., officials said.
When crews arrived they found Gutierrez with a head wound, officials said. He was taken to Mercy Hospital in Janesville.
Investigators said a 13-year-old witness has been interviewed and a handgun has been found, along with other pieces of evidence.
The sheriff's office said a donation website has been set up for Gutierrez' family.
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street
- 'Out of the darkness' walk for suicide prevention
- Woman may face charges after being thrown from vehicle during crash
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says