The federal government is giving nearly $100,000 in grants to Milwaukee-based Growing Power.
Democratic U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore and U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the grants are to help increase local food access in eligible schools.
It's in connection to Farm to School, a USDA-supported program aimed at improving agricultural and nutritional education by providing locally sourced food in schools.
WITI-TV reports the grant will help Growing Power provide training on how to produce fresh locally grown foods.
Growing Power is a nonprofit organization that promotes sustainable farming methods. Its founder and chief executive officer is Will Allen, a former professional basketball player.
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees