The federal government is giving nearly $100,000 in grants to Milwaukee-based Growing Power.
Democratic U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore and U.S. Department of Agriculture announced the grants are to help increase local food access in eligible schools.
It's in connection to Farm to School, a USDA-supported program aimed at improving agricultural and nutritional education by providing locally sourced food in schools.
WITI-TV reports the grant will help Growing Power provide training on how to produce fresh locally grown foods.
Growing Power is a nonprofit organization that promotes sustainable farming methods. Its founder and chief executive officer is Will Allen, a former professional basketball player.
- Trump, Walker discuss dairy dispute in Wisconsin
- 6-year-old watching TV nearly struck by bullet, Madison police say
- Man injured in gunfire incident at Verona Road gas station
- Student stabbed, seriously wounded at Kenosha high school
- Sauk County man wins $53,000 lottery prize
- Bullets hit 2 apartment buildings, police say