TOWN OF EXCELSIOR, Wis. - Officials said alcohol and speed were factors in a crash that left one person dead and another injured in Excelsior Saturday morning.
The Sauk County Sheriff's Office said deputies and paramedics responded to a report of a single-vehicle crash at about 3:35 a.m. on Terrytown Road near the intersection with Excelsior Road.
Officials said a 1998 Ford F150 pickup truck was westbound on Terrytown Road when the driver, Matthew J. Steinhorst, 30, of Baraboo, lost control and the truck rolled several times. A passenger, James V. Wedekind, 31, of Baraboo, was ejected.
Steinhorst was taken to St. Clare Hospital by ambulance and Wedekind was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the report.
Alcohol and speed were factors in the crash, according to the report.
The sheriff's office said Steinhorst was wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash but Wedekind was not and was ejected.
- Law enforcement warns of dangerous, ice-covered roads
- Lowell Elementary School closed due to flooding, officials say
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Local Wisconsin man remembers meeting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Parents of girl charged in 'Slender Man' stabbing speak out
- 6-year-old girl buys birthday gifts for children in need