TOWN OF EXCELSIOR, Wis. - Officials said alcohol and speed were factors in a crash that left one person dead and another injured in Excelsior Saturday morning.
The Sauk County Sheriff's Office said deputies and paramedics responded to a report of a single-vehicle crash at about 3:35 a.m. on Terrytown Road near the intersection with Excelsior Road.
Officials said a 1998 Ford F150 pickup truck was westbound on Terrytown Road when the driver, Matthew J. Steinhorst, 30, of Baraboo, lost control and the truck rolled several times. A passenger, James V. Wedekind, 31, of Baraboo, was ejected.
Steinhorst was taken to St. Clare Hospital by ambulance and Wedekind was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the report.
Alcohol and speed were factors in the crash, according to the report.
The sheriff's office said Steinhorst was wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash but Wedekind was not and was ejected.
- Dane County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- Handful of rat virus cases seen in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Hilldale Mall launches redevelopment of south side
- State unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- Expect traffic delays in downtown Madison for Women's March Saturday
- Police arrest suspected heroin dealers, seize 3 guns, $28K cash