TOWN OF SHULLSBURG, Wis. - The Lafayette County Sheriff's Office said one person was killed in a crash between a vehicle and a semitrailer Thursday morning.
Authorities said they responded at about 9:30 a.m. to a report of a crash on State Highway 11 at County Highway E in the Town of Shullsburg, about three miles east of the city of Shullsburg.
Sheriff's officials said an automobile was traveling northbound off of Summit Road crossing State Highway 11 when the driver apparently did not see the semitrailer traveling westbound on State Highway 11.
The semitrailer driver attempted to avoid a crash but was unable to and struck the automobile directly on the passenger side of the vehicle, pushing the automobile down the road with it, sheriff's officials said.
The driver of the automobile was wearing a seat belt and was declared dead at the scene by the Lafayette County coroner.
The semitrailer driver was wearing a seat belt and was not injured.
The name of the victim is being withheld pending notification of family members.
Sheriff's officials said this is Lafayette County's first traffic fatality in 2012.
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes