MONROE COUNTY, Wis. - A 49-year-old woman from Tomah died after a head-on vehicle crash on Highway 16 in the Township of Adrian Friday morning.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Department says the woman was the passenger in a vehicle that was going westbound when the driver attempted to pass another vehicle while going down a hill. The driver noticed on-coming traffic and tried to get back into the westbound lane.
Authorities say that's when he lost control of the vehicle, fishtailed and went into on-coming traffic, striking the eastbound vehicle head-on. The 49-year-old passenger due to the injuries sustained in the crash.
The rear passengers of the westbound vehicle were transported to the Tomah Memorial Hospital for their injuries. The driver of the westbound vehicle was taken to the Mayor Health Care System, Sparta Campus for his injuries.
The driver of the eastbound vehicle was extricated and transported by MedLink to Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse.
The names of the victims have not been released yet.
The crash closed all lanes at Highway 16 at Hazel Avenue for about three hours Friday morning. The crash happened at about 9:15 a.m. The roads were opened again at about 12:15 p.m.
- 29-year-old man dies from injuries suffered in Beloit fire
- Suspended UW-Madison student wants sex charges dismissed
- Medical center closes while DEA investigates
- UWM instructor hopes students can find solution to lead problem
- Man arrested on suspicion of OWI after crash
- Assembly Republicans plan to add $300 million for roads