TOWN OF LYONS, Wis. - An autopsy will be performed on a man who died after his car crossed the center line and crashed into another car Thursday afternoon, according to the Walworth County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies were called to Highway 120 north of Prairie Road in the town of Lyons at 3:54 for a report of a two-car head-on crash.
Investigators said a car driven by Jeffrey D. Peiffer, 52, was traveling south on Highway 120 when it crossed the center line and struck a northbound car.
Peiffer was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the other car, Wolfgang H. Schubert, 69, of Wauconda, Ill., was flown to Summit Hospital in Oconomowoc with critical injuries. A passenger in Schubert's car, Rosalina L. Deinlein, 40, of Morton Grove, Ill., was taken to Lakeland Hospital in Elkhorn with unknown injuries.
Peiffer was not wearing a seat belt.
The road was closed for four hours while investigators processed the scene.
Deputies said an autopsy will be performed on Peiffer to determine the exact cause of death.
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Suspect in custody in Middleton homicide
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns
- Sheriff: Alcohol may be factor in crash that injured two
- Two seriously injured in pickup vs. semi crash