On Giving Tuesday, multiple area charities are raising funds for local projects and the community. Giving Tuesday is recognized worldwide as a kickoff to the charitable giving season, when many focus on holiday or end-of-year gifting.
- Madison Public Library Foundation: The foundation will host Give Back on Giving Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at the Harmony Bar & Grill to benefit new Pinney Library. All donations at the door (and those made online today at mplfoundation.org/donate) will go to the new Pinney Library to serve the east side of Madison, and will be doubled thanks to a $10,000 challenge grant from the Friends of Sequoya Library. https://mplfoundation.org
- Henry Vilas Zoo: Donations Tuesday are matched up to $10,000 to help bring a new rhino to zoo. http://www.vilaszoo.org/donate
- Gio’s Garden: With the grant from Madison Community Foundation, Gio’s Garden has half of the funding needed for the transportation project. It is hoping to raise the other half on via Giving Tuesday. http://giosgarden.org
- Madison4Kids: From 3 p.m. to close Tuesday, Wise at HotelRED will donate 20 percent of purchases to Madison4Kids. ESPN Madison will be broadcasting live from 3 to 6 p.m. Local Heisman winner Ron Dayne will join the event at 4:30 p.m. to present a check to Madison4Kids from his Heisman Honorarium. http://www.madison4kids.org
- Santas without Chimneys: http://www.santaswithoutchimneys.org
- Dane County Humane Society: DCHS is excited to announce a matching gift challenge as part of the organization’s day of giving. Donations made on Tuesday will be matched up to $15,000. The overall goal Tuesday is to raise at least $30,000 for the shelter, which has an annual budget of over $3.8 million.
- St. Mary’s Foundation in Madison: The group, aiming to shine a light on mental illness, will put a light Tuesday in the fountain of their winter garden. All the proceeds will go toward rehabbing their mental health unit, which desperately needs it.
- United Way of Dane County: Exact Sciences will double funds donated Tuesday https://epledge.uwdc.org/comm/ArticleArchive.jsp?ArticleType=GivingTuesday
- Habitat for Humanity of Dane County: Many Habitat families include parents who want to frame a brighter future for their children, stability and safety. They want to stand on their own. https://habitatdane.org/Donate-to-Habitat
- Unity Point Health Meriter: Donations will provide more resources for kids struggling with mental illness and victims of sexual and physical violence in our community. unitypoint.org/GivingTuesday
- Madison House: Three University of Virginia alumni will match up to $15,000 of donations to Madison House Tuesday: http://www.madisonhouse.org/how-you-can-help
- Madison Symphony: The Madison Symphony Orchestra’s programs in classrooms, the community and the concert hall touch thousands of lives every year. http://www.madisonsymphony.org
- Madison Ballet: http://www.madisonballet.org/donate
Find more information about the worldwide #GivingTuesday movement at https://www.givingtuesday.org/whats-happening-near-me.