MADISON, Wis. - A longtime Democratic figure in Wisconsin politics now says he will run for governor..
Secretary of State Doug La Follette filed paperwork at the Government Accountability Board on Thursday morning to challenge Gov. Scott Walker in an anticipated recall election later this year.
La Follette is a 40-year political veteran and has held his current office since 1982. He said that he wants to to see if he can win a possible recall election.
La Follette said he wants to get his name in the running to see how polling puts him in a race against Walker.
"My goal is to win this recall election, and if I am the strongest candidate or a very strong candidate then it would be a viable thing to do," he said.
La Follette said that he doesn't have a specific number of polls he said he needs to see before deciding if he is a viable candidate.
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend