La Crosse killer ordered back to mental-health facility
Man convicted of murders decades ago
A man convicted of killing three people at a Wisconsin church nearly 30 years ago has been ordered back to a state mental-health facility. That's because an appeals court confirmed that he violated conditions of his release.
A judge ruled last year that Bryan Stanley failed to report that he was experiencing violent thoughts for more than a year. The 57-year-old appealed the decision but an appeals court on Friday upheld the lower court's ruling.
Stanley had been found not guilty by reason of mental disease after shooting custodian William Hammes, the Rev. John Rossiter and lay minister Ferdinand Roth Sr. in 1985.
Hammes's daughter, Rose Hammes, told the La Crosse Tribune she's relieved by the ruling.
Defense attorney Thomas Hayes said he expects his client will be disappointed.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.