JANESVILLE, Wis. -

A stove left on while a man went to the store is the cause of a $90,000 fire in Janesville, according to the Janesville Fire Department.

Smoke was coming out of the front door of a duplex on 2526 N. Lexington Drive at around 5:30 p.m. Sunday.

Fire crews said the tenant of one of the units put two pans on the stove to heat water and cooking oil. The tenant told firefighters he left his home to go to a local grocery store for food. When he returned, he saw his kitchen on fire and called 911.

Seven fire units responded and extinguished the fire in 90 minutes.

The Janesville Fire Department said $75,000 of damage was done to the structure and $15,000 was lost in content.

The other side of the duplex was not damaged.