A pot of oil started a fire in a Madison house Monday afternoon, according to the Madison Fire Department.
The fire was quickly put out at a single-family home on the 3400 block of Richard Street.
Authorities said the resident put a pot of oil on the stove and left the kitchen to close windows, due to an incoming storm. When the resident returned, smoke had filled the kitchen.
Fire crews extinguished the fire within two minutes of arriving and saved three cats.
Damages are estimated at $40,000. No injuries were reported.