Students and faculty at Monroe Elementary School in Janesville hosted a basketball benefit for raise funds for their principal, who is battling cancer.
The fundraiser attracted more than 2,500 attendees to the school's annual students versus staff basketball game.
Principal Lori Burns was present to speak and received gifts from students and staff. Burns was presented with a national flag and a quilt, made by students.
Leading up to the fundraiser, school volunteers sold 1,400 T-shirts at $10.
School volunteers plan to launch a website for Burns next week. Burns keeps a public journal under her account loriburns68, on the non-profit website www.caringbridge.org. The page currently has over 30,000 visits.
- Sheriff: Man driving 30 mph over speed limit was drunk
- Stoughton woman faces 5th OWI charge
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Town of Janesville man faces 6th OWI
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000