Students and faculty at Monroe Elementary School in Janesville hosted a basketball benefit for raise funds for their principal, who is battling cancer.
The fundraiser attracted more than 2,500 attendees to the school's annual students versus staff basketball game.
Principal Lori Burns was present to speak and received gifts from students and staff. Burns was presented with a national flag and a quilt, made by students.
Leading up to the fundraiser, school volunteers sold 1,400 T-shirts at $10.
School volunteers plan to launch a website for Burns next week. Burns keeps a public journal under her account loriburns68, on the non-profit website www.caringbridge.org. The page currently has over 30,000 visits.
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday
- New emergency equipment aids obese patients in Wisconsin