MADISON, Wis. - Residents of Janesville will soon be greeted by a 60-foot illuminated cross.
New Life Assembly of God Church said the cross is a $1,000 gift from parishioners to the community.
The cross does not require a municipal permit. Its installation is federally protected on religious grounds.
The Rev. Michael Jackson explained a planning process that considered the impact of placing a larger cross. "We looked at putting a 100-foot cross out there, but we have 20-plus acres of land and a 100-foot cross, I think, would have been gaudy and ostentatious," he said. "So 60 feet fits our property, our acreage well."
Jackson said the church also plans to put a garden, walkway and benches around the cross. The cross is being built in Alabama, and is scheduled for installation April 29.
- Neighborhood initiative aims to diminish crime on Madison's east side
- Dodge Co. Sheriff asks for more student education after school threats made
- Two injured in Iowa County rollover crash
- Family: Milwaukee mother shot repeatedly in van
- Dane County airport wins award for food program
- East side Walgreens robbed at gunpoint Sunday