MADISON - The Minnesota Gophers will start true freshman Philip Nelson at quarterback against the Wisconsin Badgers at Camp Randall Saturday.
With Marqueis Gray recovering from knee and ankle injuries and Max Shortell struggling, the Gophers will turn to Nelson, who was expected to redshirt this year, but will start against the Badgers instead.
Nelson had a distinguished high school career at Mankato West where he threw for over 7500 yards and 94 touchdowns.
Nelson's family lived in Sun Prairie and moved to Mankato when he was 10 years old.
Wisconsin has beaten Minnesota for Paul Bunyan's Axe in their last eight meetings.
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- District: Some Janesville school bus routes canceled because of slippery roads
- Driver of car going 107 mph suspected of drug use, deputies say
- Car reported missing discovered crashed into condo, police say
- Driver who nearly strikes state patrol car charged with 4th OWI, trooper says
- Man pulls gun during road rage incident, police say