MADISON - The Minnesota Gophers will start true freshman Philip Nelson at quarterback against the Wisconsin Badgers at Camp Randall Saturday.
With Marqueis Gray recovering from knee and ankle injuries and Max Shortell struggling, the Gophers will turn to Nelson, who was expected to redshirt this year, but will start against the Badgers instead.
Nelson had a distinguished high school career at Mankato West where he threw for over 7500 yards and 94 touchdowns.
Nelson's family lived in Sun Prairie and moved to Mankato when he was 10 years old.
Wisconsin has beaten Minnesota for Paul Bunyan's Axe in their last eight meetings.
- Congress considering removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Surveillance video shows burglars breaking into Madison cellphone store
- Officials urge vaccinating horses against mosquito-spread diseases
- Man suffers ‘incapacitating injury' in Grant County crash, deputies say