MADISON, Wis. - Electric vehicle owners would have to pay a surcharge under a new GOP bill being circulated, according to Wispolitics.
The bill, from Rep. Paul Tittl, would add $125 to the current $75 annual vehicle registration fee.
Tittl, R-Manitowoc, wrote in his co-sponsorship email the increased fee would create "fairness in road funding" by having electric car owners "contribute to the financing, repair and maintenance of our roads in an amount comparable to those who drive other vehicles."
Assembly Republicans earlier released a transportation plan that included a $125 fee on electric cars as well as a $30 fee on hybrids. Senate Republicans have opposed the proposal.
- One dead following Rock County motorcycle crash
- Chryst comments on NFL protests, relationship with players
- Irma forces St. John family to relocate to Madison
- Manhunt subject Jakubowski awaits verdict from jury
- New study shows effects of voter ID law on 2016 election
- Marquette County Sheriff's Department to receive more overdose rescue training