A gas leak caused an evacuation at a car dealership and nearby buildings Wednesday morning, officials said.
The Stoughton Fire Department said firefighters and Dane County Sheriff's deputies responded to a report of a gas leak at Stark Chevrolet-Buick-GMC in the town of Rutland at 9:16 a.m.
The service director at Stark, Don Dillman, told News 3 he heard something blow, then a hissing sound in the building. Stark VP and general manager Bill Hoyle said more than 100 people were evacuated including employees at the dealership and from nearby buildings.
Fire Chief Martin Lamers said a 4-inch gas pipe had been leaking near the building. Gas and electricity to the building were shut off, the building was evacuated and ventilated until the gas line leak was fixed.
Lamers said emergency crews were at the dealership on Highway 51 for about 2 hours Wednesday. The leak was fixed by 11:15 a.m. and people were allowed to begin re-entering the buildings, Lamers told News 3.
The dealership is at 1423 Highway 51.