MADISON, Wis. - An Asian elephant who called Henry Vilas Zoo home until 2000 died this month at a sanctuary in Tennessee, according to Wisconsin State Journal.
Winkie lived in Madison from 1966 to 2000. She was 51 when she died.
According to the State Journal, Winkie was originally named Winkie Too when she arrived at the zoo as a 10-month-old. She left Vilas Zoo in 2000 after activists documented poor living conditions at the zoo.
- Janesville police search for suspect after shots fired in hotel
- Students make every penny count to raise money after Hurricane Maria
- DATCP releases 'Gift Card Do's, Don'ts and Gotchas'
- Local mom says thanks to community after receiving check for month's rent
- Trouble in Toyland report express concerns about children's toys connecting to internet
- Holiday spending expected to be at a 15-year high