Fire started by wood burner causes $115K in damage
No one was injured in fire that destroyed a pole shed in Janesville, officials say
No one was injured in a fire that destroyed a pole shed in Janesville and caused $115,000 worth of damage, officials said.
Crews responded to 2828 W. Rockport Road for reports of a structure fire around 7:35 a.m. Tuesday, according to a release. Smoke from the fire was visible as fire crews left their stations.
Officials said the 100-by-35 foot garage was fully involved in fire and smoke when crews got to the scene.
The renter of the property told investigators he started the wood burner around 3 a.m. because he was going to work in the garage, officials said. He said he kept checking to make sure everything was working properly, but in between visits to the garage, a passerby stopped and said the garage was on fire.
Officials said the cause of the fire was the wood burner. Damage is being estimated at $40,000 for the structure and $75,000 for the contents of the shed.
A backhoe was brought in to assist with pulling apart the structure to insure all fire was knocked down, according to the release.
A bus from Janesville Transit was used to warm crews, and make sure firefighters stayed hydrated and had breaks, according to the release. Crews were on scene for approximately four hours.
Copyright 2013 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.