SPRING GREEN, Wis. - Two elementary schools in the River Valley School District will be closing in the next two years.
The River Valley School Board voted Thursday night to close Lone Rock Elementary School at the end of this school year and Arena's elementary school at the end of the next school year.
Dozens of people attended the board meeting to voice their opposition to the closures.
"I fear for the future of our local communities as they look toward the loss of local schools, creating falling property values, creating terrible busing situations for our youngest students, and having families with young students deciding not to move into our area," a speaker at the meeting said Thursday night.
District officials said the closures will make up for about $950,000 worth of the $1.5 million deficit projected through the next two school years.
- Incumbent Evers advances easily in schools race
- Evers, Holtz react to primary election victories
- After-school program mentors at-risk boys in Sheboygan
- Janesville high school holds safety workshop for girls
- Competitive race highlights MMSD school board primary
- Recent campus protest speaks to larger community issues