MADISON, Wis. - Madison Area Technical College President Bettsey Barhorst announced her plans to retire during Tuesday morning's convocation with faculty.
She said she aims to retire by July 1.
MATC Board of Directors Chair Frances Huntley-Cooper said they hope to name a new president by early July or August. She said the process will be open and inclusive.
Barhorst was appointed president of MATC in Nov. 2004 and was previously president at Hawkeye Community College in Waterloo, Iowa.
Barhorst said leaving Madison College will be like leaving family.
"They just do unbelievably remarkable things, and I'm so proud of it. It's like what a privilege to be able to have been here for eight and a half years. So it's my gift that I've been given to have the chance to be here," Barhorst said.
Barhost said she'll be relocating to Peoria, Ill., to be closer to family.
- UW-Madison athletics employee fired
- State superintendent candidate defends dental work
- Superintendent candidate Humphries proposes new report card
- Beloit high school students head to DC to watch inauguration in person
- Assembly speaker says he'd rather up aid than cut tuition
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer