MADISON, Wis. - A University of Wisconsin-Madison committee has approved using student fees to fund an atheist organization.
Chris Calvey is president of the group, Atheists, Humanists, and Agnostics. Calvey said it's about time secular students got the support they deserve.
The university's Student Services Finance Committee recently approved about $67,000 to fund the group in the next academic year. The national Secular Student Alliance said the funding appears to be the largest ever awarded to such a campus organization.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported the student council, chancellor and regents must still approve the funding. Associated Students of Madison spokesman David Gardner said committee recommendations are rarely, if ever, overturned.
- UW-Madison athletics employee fired
- State superintendent candidate defends dental work
- Superintendent candidate Humphries proposes new report card
- Beloit high school students head to DC to watch inauguration in person
- Assembly speaker says he'd rather up aid than cut tuition
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer