When zucchini are plentiful, make this wonderful, delicately flavored soup. Enjoy it now but it can also be frozen for a treat in the middle of winter.
1 tablespoon butter or margarine 1 large onion, chopped 2 pounds zucchini, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced 1 can (49 ounces) fat free chicken broth 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1 cup shredded carrots salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1/2 cup white wine
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add zucchini, potatoes, chicken broth, and white pepper. Boil gently 40 - 60 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Using a hand held immersion blender, puree soup to your desired consistency. Add carrots and cook 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine and keep warm until ready to serve. Add additional broth if soup is too thick.
*If zucchini are very large, remove soft center and seeds.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 90 Fat, gm.: 2 Protein, gm.: 3 Carbs, gm.: 15 Cholesterol, mg.: 5 Fiber, gm.: 3.0
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire