When zucchini are plentiful, make this wonderful, delicately flavored soup. Enjoy it now but it can also be frozen for a treat in the middle of winter.
1 tablespoon butter or margarine 1 large onion, chopped 2 pounds zucchini, peeled and sliced (about 6 cups)* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced 1 can (49 ounces) fat free chicken broth 1/4 teaspoon white pepper 1 cup shredded carrots salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 1/2 cup white wine
In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook over medium heat until translucent. Add zucchini, potatoes, chicken broth, and white pepper. Boil gently 40 - 60 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Using a hand held immersion blender, puree soup to your desired consistency. Add carrots and cook 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add wine and keep warm until ready to serve. Add additional broth if soup is too thick.
*If zucchini are very large, remove soft center and seeds.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 90 Fat, gm.: 2 Protein, gm.: 3 Carbs, gm.: 15 Cholesterol, mg.: 5 Fiber, gm.: 3.0
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns