Serve this special rice dressing in mini pumpkins for an impressive Thanksgiving side dish.
3 cups cooked wild rice 2 cups cooked white rice 8 mini pumpkins 1 tablespoon canola oil 1 medium onion, diced 1 cup finely chopped celery 8 ounces finely chopped mushroom seasoned salt 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning* salt and pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine cooked wild rice and white rice. Set aside.
To prepare mini pumpkins, cook each pumpkin in the microwave for 2 - 3 minutes or until each one is tender. Cut out top. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and discard. Set pumpkins aside.
In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add onion and celery and cook until tender. Remove from pan and combine with the rice. Add mushrooms to skillet and cook until tender and beginning to brown. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Combine with the rice. Add poultry seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Stuff each pumpkin with rice mixture. Serve warm. If needed, re-warm in microwave or oven.
*Note: In place of poultry seasoning, use 1/4 teaspoon each of sage, thyme, marjoram, nutmeg, rosemary, and black pepper.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 160 Fat, gm.: 2 Protein, gm.: 5 Carbs, gm.: 31 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 2.3
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Agriculture secretary to Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Food delivery drivers targeted in Madison robberies, police say
- Fire marshal called to 2 fires in Jefferson County
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say