Add an interesting nutty texture to an ordinary Waldorf salad. The wheat berries are a high fiber whole grain. They can be found in the specialty grain section of your supermarket.
1/2 cup cooked wheat berries 3 medium apples, cored and diced 1/2 cup diced celery 1/4 cup dried cranberries 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Dressing:6 ounces fat-free vanilla yogurt 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon dash nutmeg dash salt
Cook wheat berries according to package directions.(1/4 cup of raw berries makes 1/2 cup cooked wheat berries.) Chill and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine apples, celery, cranberries, and cooked wheat berries. Set walnuts aside.
In a small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and mix. Add desired amount of dressing to salad ingredients and stir well. Top with chopped nuts.
Note: The salad is best made 20 minutes or more ahead of time to allow dressing and salad ingredients to blend.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 115 Fat 1 Protein 3 Carbs 24 Cholesterol 0 Fiber 3.3
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs