This recipe was developed to create a meatless chili recipe that tastes as good as regular chili. It is a success and the secret is in the bulgur. Bulgur is made from wheat kernels that are partially cooked and then cracked. When the bulgur is cooked in this chili, it has the appearance, texture, and taste of ground beef. If you don?t tell anyone, they will believe there is ground meat in this great chili.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium red or green pepper, diced
3 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, undrained
1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained
1 can (30 ounces) Italian flavored diced tomatoes
1 can (30 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
8 ounces chopped green chiles
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 can (15 ounces) vegetable or chicken broth
dash Tabasco sauce, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
In a large heavy soup pan or deep skillet, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook until tender. Add beans, tomatoes, chilies, bulgur, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 30 - 40 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Stir occasionally. Add vegetable or chicken broth to thin to the desired consistency. Add Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste.
If desired, top each serving with shredded cheese.
Nutritional information per serving without the cheese:
Fat, gm. 4
Protein, gm. 13
Carb, gm 49
Fiber, gm. 11.3
More Donna's Recipes
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say