Tomatoes are a great source of the phytonutrient lypcopene. Make them special by combining with cucumbers and marinating in a red wine dressing.
4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 3 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1 large sweet onion, sliced
Dressing 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley 2 teaspoons sugar 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons capers, optional basil leaves for garnish
Place tomato slices, cucumber slices, and onion slices in a zip-lock bag.
In a small jar, combine olive oil, vinegar, basil, parsley, sugar, salt, pepper, and capers. Shake to mix well. Pour into bag with tomatoes. Close bag and mix gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Arrange vegetables on a serving platter and drizzle with desired amount of dressing.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 90 Fat, gm.: 5 Protein, gm.: 2 Carbs, gm.: 10 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 2.7
- Baldwin encourages U.S. Dept. of Agriculture secretary to Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in state
- Food delivery drivers targeted in Madison robberies, police say
- Fire marshal called to 2 fires in Jefferson County
- Witness: Man points gun at kids playing basketball
- License plate left behind at hit-and-run scene IDs driver, police say