This makes a beautiful presentation. Serve it in small pieces as an appetizer or in larger pieces as a dinner side dish. It can also be an impressive luncheon meal accompanied by a green salad.
1 teaspoon olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
1 teaspoon ready-to-use chopped basil in a jar or dry basil
1 -9 inch unbaked pie crust
6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese or cheese of your choice
3 large Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small skillet, heat oil. Cook onions over medium heat until translucent. Add basil to the onions and set aside. Place pie shell on a baking sheet or in a shallow 9? pie pan. Prick with a fork and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and distribute onions over the crust. Sprinkle with cheese. Arrange tomato slices by partially overlapping them over the cheese, covering the top completely. Brush with olive oil and top with additional basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is brown.
If tart was baked on a baking sheet, slide it onto a serving platter. Cut into slices to serve.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 235
Fat, gm. 14
Protein, gm. 10
Carbs, gm. 17
Cholesterol, mg. 15
Fiber, gm. 0.6
- Man suffers ‘incapacitating injury' in Grant County crash, deputies say
- Surveillance video shows burglars breaking into Madison cellphone store
- Records show little GOP feedback to state education plan
- Lincoln Hills psychologist dismissed
- Kenosha teen who stabbed classmate was punched by victim
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online