Enjoy this soup when you have an abundance of garden fresh tomatoes.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup chopped onions
3 large fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dry basil
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
15 ounces fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
2 tablespoons sherry wine, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream, optional
4 fresh basil leaves, optional
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add tomatoes, basil, white pepper, dry mustard, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 15 - 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Using an immersion blender, process until smooth. Add milk and heat through. Add wine and salt and pepper to taste. If desired, garnish individual serving bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh basil.
Note: For a very smooth soup, pour soup through a strainer before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 3
Protein, gm. 5 Carbs, gm. 13 Cholesterol, mg. 3 Fiber, gm. 1.6
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns