Enjoy this soup when you have an abundance of garden fresh tomatoes.
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup chopped onions
3 large fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dry basil
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
15 ounces fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
2 tablespoons sherry wine, optional
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream, optional
4 fresh basil leaves, optional
In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add tomatoes, basil, white pepper, dry mustard, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 15 - 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Using an immersion blender, process until smooth. Add milk and heat through. Add wine and salt and pepper to taste. If desired, garnish individual serving bowls with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh basil.
Note: For a very smooth soup, pour soup through a strainer before serving.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 3
Protein, gm. 5 Carbs, gm. 13 Cholesterol, mg. 3 Fiber, gm. 1.6
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam
- 2 teenagers chased by police die in car crash in Milwaukee
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire