This soup has a slightly sweet flavor from the sweet potatoes but the hot curry powder will stimulate your taste buds.
1 Tbsp. canola oil 1 medium onion, chopped 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped 1 tsp. minced fresh or bottled ginger 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced ½ tsp. hot curry powder or more to taste 6 c. fat-free chicken broth ½ c. uncooked lentils, washed 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and carrots and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add ginger, curry powder, and sweet potatoes. Cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add broth, lentils, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 30 minutes or until lentils and sweet potato are tender and soup reaches desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 3
Protein, gm.: 10
Carbs, gm. : 28
Cholesterol, mg.: 0
Fiber, gm.: 10.0
Note: The soup is best with a hot curry powder. If that is not available, use another curry powder and add hot red pepper to taste.
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say