This soup has a slightly sweet flavor from the sweet potatoes but the hot curry powder will stimulate your taste buds.
1 Tbsp. canola oil 1 medium onion, chopped 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped 1 tsp. minced fresh or bottled ginger 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced ½ tsp. hot curry powder or more to taste 6 c. fat-free chicken broth ½ c. uncooked lentils, washed 1 can (15 ounces) petite diced tomatoes salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and carrots and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add ginger, curry powder, and sweet potatoes. Cook 2 - 3 minutes. Add broth, lentils, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently for 30 minutes or until lentils and sweet potato are tender and soup reaches desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm.: 3
Protein, gm.: 10
Carbs, gm. : 28
Cholesterol, mg.: 0
Fiber, gm.: 10.0
Note: The soup is best with a hot curry powder. If that is not available, use another curry powder and add hot red pepper to taste.
- Research indicates correct breast examination techniques are widely understood
- Shell casings found downtown after shots fired call
- 75,000+ attend 'Women's March on Madison'
- Police looking for driver who fled after causing crash
- MPD: 9-month-old girl back safe after father refused to return her to mother
- Committee debates to keep or remove Monterrey Dam