What A Fun Way To Eat Your Spinach!
- 4 miniature pumpkins
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
Microwave each individual pumpkin for 1 - 2 minutes or until tender. Cut top off of each pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. Discard seeds and soft flesh. Set aside. In a small saucepan, cook spinach according to package directions. Drain and squeeze spinach dry. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add milk and bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add white pepper, nutmeg, and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add spinach and stir to blend. Spoon spinach mixture into pumpkin shells. When ready to serve, warm in the oven or microwave.
Note: A package of frozen creamed spinach can be used instead of preparing the spinach in this recipe.
Serves 4 Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 160 Fat, gm. 10 Protein, gm. 8 Carbs, gm. 8 Cholesterol, mg. 30 Fiber, gm. 2.2
Note from Donna: I have lots more recipes available in my MOM'S UPDATED RECIPE BOX 2nd edition cookbook. There are 300 recipes that are healthy, modern versions of all your family's favorite homestyle recipes. If you would like a copy, I can send it to you and you can return a check after you receive it. - $15 plus $1.50 postage.
Please call me at (608) 263-9128 or email me at
Thanks, Donna Weihofen
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK