This is easy to put together ahead of time. Bake it an hour before you are ready to serve. It is very attractive and so tasty too. When I served this for a morning bridge group, everyone asked for the recipe.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 Italian turkey sausage links
- 6 eggs*
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 slices bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 box (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese or cheese of your choice, divided
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 inch pie pan. In a medium skillet, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent.
Add mushrooms and cook until tender and dry. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Squeeze sausage out of the casing and cook in the skillet, over medium-hot heat, until brown. Stir while cooking to break meat into small pieces. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, add eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Beat well. Add reserved onions, mushrooms, and sausage. Add bread, spinach, and 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese. Stir to mix well.
Spoon into pie pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
Bake for 45 - 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Garnish each serving with dollop of sour cream if desired.
*Note: Egg Beaters can be substituted for the eggs.
Nutritional Information per serving:
- Calories 255
- Fat, gm. 15
- Protein, gm. 20
- Carbs, gm. 10
- Cholesterol, mg. 180
- Fiber, gm. 1.8
- MPD: Around 12,000 attend 2017 Mifflin Street Block Party; no serious incidents
- Officials identify woman killed in Middleton homicide; suspect in custody
- Robber points gun at motel clerk, flees empty-handed
- Wisconsin woman's play to take stage in San Diego
- Aging farmers in Wisconsin fear nursing care may cost farm
- Green Bay official explores ban on openly carrying guns