The combination of spices makes this a memorable meal. The flavor will change depending on the curry powder you choose. I like to use a hot curry powder for this recipe.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons hot curry powder
1 cup basmati rice
2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 pound cooked shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 cup corn, frozen or canned
1 cup frozen peas
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup toasted coconut, optional
In a large heavy skillet, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, cinnamon, and curry powder. Stir to mix. Add rice and cook for 2 –3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Add shrimp, corn, peas, and lime juice. Stir to mix and heat through. If desired, sprinkle with coconut when ready to serve.
Note: Other cooked fish or seafood, such as cod, haddock, or scallops, can be substituted for all or part of the shrimp. Chicken or pork could also be substituted for the seafood.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 5
Protein, gm. 32
Carb. gm. 54
Cholesterol, mg. 220
Fiber, gm 4.2
- Dog recovering after eating nails wrapped in hot dogs; Police look for person who left them
- Dating apps pose risk to teenagers, expert says
- Lawsuit over baked goods ban heads to court
- FDA issues warning letters over 'bogus cancer cures'
- County leaders announce effort to increase access to services for sexual assault victims
- Man barricaded in house with guns, ammunition surrenders, police say