Try one of the new low fat chicken sausages in this healthful vegetable soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 large onion, chopped 16 ounces low fat chicken sausage, cut into ¾ inch pieces 1 cup diced celery 1 cup diced carrots 1 cup sliced zucchini 1 medium green or red pepper, diced 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1 can (15 ounces) canned diced seasoned tomatoes 1 can (49 ounces) fat-free chicken broth 1 teaspoon dried basil 1 teaspoon dried oregano 1 cup pasta shells salt and pepper to taste grated Romano or Parmesan cheese, optional
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and sausage. Cook until onions are translucent. Add celery, carrots, zucchini, and peppers. Cook until tender. Add garlic, tomatoes, broth, basil, and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 30 - 60 minutes or until flavors are blended and soup reaches desired consistency. Add additional broth if soup gets too thick.
While soup is simmering, cook pasta in boiling salted water in a medium saucepan.
When ready to serve, add pasta to individual serving dishes. (This prevents the pasta from soaking up the soup broth if it cooks in the soup pan. It also prevents the pasta from getting soggy in left-over soup.)
Top individual serving with grated cheese if desired.
Calories: 250 Fat, gm.: 10 Protein, gm.: 20 Carbs, gm.: 20 Cholesterol, mg.: 50 Fiber, gm.: 2.7
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to fourth OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street