These will be the hit of the party.
4 pounds fresh whole mushrooms
16 ounces low-fat Italian sausage
16 ounces low-fat turkey sausage
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
dash Tabasco sauce to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 2 wire cooking racks on top of a large baking sheet with sides. Wash mushrooms and remove base stem. Discard stems and set caps aside. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Fill each mushroom cap with sausage mixture. Press in firmly.
Place each filled mushroom on the rack. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until sausage in completely done and mushroom is tender. Remove from oven and serve warm.
Note: These may be made ahead and reheated with a small amount of broth in a crock pot or over low heat in a saucepan on the stove.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 11
Protein, gm. 9
Carbohydrates, gm. 6
Cholesterol, mg. 45
Fiber, gm. 1.1
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend
- Madison police have video of road rage incident involving a car and bike