These will be the hit of the party. These can be made ahead and refrigerated. When ready to serve, reheat and place stuffed mushrooms in a slow cooker, a chafing dish, or small saucepan on the stove with a small amount of broth to keep warm.
- 2 pounds fresh whole mushrooms
- 16 ounces low-fat ground Italian turkey sausage, mild or hot your choice
- 2 tablespoons fine ground bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- dash Tabasco sauce to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. (This will make clean up easier.) Place 2 cooling wire racks on top of the baking pan.
Wash mushrooms and remove base stem. Discard stems and set caps aside.
In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Fill each mushroom cap with sausage mixture. Press in firmly.
Place each filled mushroom on the rack with sausage side up.
Bake for 15 - 30 minutes or until sausage is completely done and mushrooms are tender. Larger mushrooms take longer to bake. Remove from oven and serve warm.
- Calories 125
- Fat, gm. 8
- Protein, gm. 9
- Carbs, gm. 5
- Cholesterol, mg. 45
- Fiber, gm. 1.1
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S.Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Police: Teens try to open Madison girl's car door, flash gun at her
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Suspected drunken driver hits car in oncoming lane, police say
- Teens say armed man asked them to get in car, police say
- Couple heard window being opened, scared off a would-be burglar, PD says
- City streets dept. denies telling MMSD roads were OK