Try this great breakfast or brunch treat in the spring when rhubarb is in season but it can also be made with frozen rhubarb. This coffee cake is extra moist and so good.
3/4 cup brown sugar 3/4 cup Splenda or sugar 2/3 cup canola oil 1 egg 1 cup low fat buttermilk 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon vanilla 2-1/2 cups flour 3 cups diced rhubarb, fresh or frozen (unthawed)
1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup rolled oats (oatmeal) 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, Splenda or sugar, oil, and eggs. Beat well with electric mixer.
Add buttermilk, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Beat well.
Add flour and mix just until blended. Stir in rhubarb.
Spoon into baking pan.
In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients.
Sprinkle evenly on top of batter.
Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until lightly brown and set in the middle.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 230 Fat, gm. 11 Protein, gm. 3 Carbs, gm. 30 Cholesterol, mg. 10 Fiber, gm. .7
Donna Weihofen, RD, MS, CD Nutritionist, UW Carbone Cancer Center ? UW Hospital and Clinics
- Garrison Keillor coming to Breese Stevens Field
- Gun pointed at driver during road rage incident, deputies say
- Wisconsin family rescued from wave that throws them into tide pool
- New Zealand: Janesville doctor must pay for deadly crash
- Police: Crash leads to 4th OWI arrest
- Madison police work to create better quality of life on top of State Street