I am bringing back this recipe by popular demand. I made it several years ago but will feature it again in case you missed it. I love this cake! It is so moist and delicious.
1/2 cup butter or shortening* 1/2 cup Splenda or sugar 1-1/2 cups brown sugar 1 egg 1 cup low fat buttermilk 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cups flour 2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, diced in ½ inch pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup Splenda or white sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 chopped nuts, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a glass or non-stick pan, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and brown sugar. Add egg and beat well. Add buttermilk, salt, baking, soda, and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in flour until well mixed. Stir in rhubarb. Spoon into pan.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly brown. Do not over-bake.
Note: Two 8 x 8 inch pans can be used in place of the 9 x 13 inch pan.
*The new Crisco brand shortening has 0 grams of trans fats.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 200 Fat, gm.: 7 Protein, gm.: 2 Carb, gm: 32 Cholesterol: 10 Fiber: 0.3
- 30 missing after avalanche buries Italian hotel
- One injured after stabbing in Madison
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Missing Marathon County man found safe
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth