I am bringing back this recipe by popular demand. I made it several years ago but will feature it again in case you missed it. I love this cake! It is so moist and delicious.
1/2 cup butter or shortening* 1/2 cup Splenda or sugar 1-1/2 cups brown sugar 1 egg 1 cup low fat buttermilk 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 cups flour 2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, diced in ½ inch pieces
1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup Splenda or white sugar 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 chopped nuts, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a glass or non-stick pan, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and brown sugar. Add egg and beat well. Add buttermilk, salt, baking, soda, and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in flour until well mixed. Stir in rhubarb. Spoon into pan.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly brown. Do not over-bake.
Note: Two 8 x 8 inch pans can be used in place of the 9 x 13 inch pan.
*The new Crisco brand shortening has 0 grams of trans fats.
Nutritional information per serving:
Calories: 200 Fat, gm.: 7 Protein, gm.: 2 Carb, gm: 32 Cholesterol: 10 Fiber: 0.3
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes