I love this cake! It is so moist and delicious. Use fresh spring rhubarb but it can be made year-round with frozen rhubarb.
1/2 cup shortening*
1/2 cup Splenda or sugar
1-1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup low fat buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Splenda or white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 chopped nuts, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using a glass or non-stick pan, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugar, and brown sugar. Add egg and beat well. Add buttermilk, salt, baking, soda, and vanilla. Beat well. Stir in flour until well mixed. Stir in rhubarb. Spoon into pan.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and nuts. Sprinkle over batter. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly brown. Do not over-bake.
Note: Two 8 x 8 inch pans can be used in place of the 9 x 13 inch pan.
*The new Crisco brand shortening has no trans fats.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat, gm. 7
Protein, gm. 2
Carb, gm 32
Fiber, gm. 0.3
More Donna's Recipes
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes
- Madison middle school to require student uniforms