Make this bread when rhubarb is in season and freeze a few loaves later. I like to keep it on hand for a quick snack.
1 cup rhubarb, diced into 1/2-inch pieces 1-1/2 cups flour 3/4 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup canola oil 1 egg 1/2 cup buttermilk 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping 1 teaspoon butter or margarine, melted 2 tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 325 degree. Butter a 5 x 9 inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb and flour. Toss to coat rhubarb. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Beat to mix well. Add rhubarb and flour. Stir to mix. Spoon into baking pan.
Combine butter and sugar. Using your fingers, crumble mixture on top. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until lightly brown and set in the middle.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 8
Protein, gm. 3
Carbs, gm. 24
Cholesterol, mg. 20
Fiber, gm. 0.2
- Pedestrian killed in Walworth County crash
- Thousands participate in Madison March for Science
- Friends, family send off 85 National Guard members
- Body pulled out of Kinnickinnic River in Milwaukee
- Signs go up in Racine marking Frank Lloyd Wright Trail
- DNR: Alcohol may be involved in Lake Wisconsin boat crash