Make this bread when rhubarb is in season and freeze a few loaves later. I like to keep it on hand for a quick snack.
1 cup rhubarb, diced into 1/2-inch pieces 1-1/2 cups flour 3/4 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup canola oil 1 egg 1/2 cup buttermilk 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon vanilla
Topping 1 teaspoon butter or margarine, melted 2 tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 325 degree. Butter a 5 x 9 inch loaf pan. In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb and flour. Toss to coat rhubarb. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Beat to mix well. Add rhubarb and flour. Stir to mix. Spoon into baking pan.
Combine butter and sugar. Using your fingers, crumble mixture on top. Bake for 55 - 60 minutes or until lightly brown and set in the middle.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Fat, gm. 8
Protein, gm. 3
Carbs, gm. 24
Cholesterol, mg. 20
Fiber, gm. 0.2
- Grocery store offers 'ugly' produce to combat food waste
- Silver Alert issued for missing Marathon County man
- Police: Boy, 12, to officers at mall: 'I'm going to kill you, your wife, your children'
- Man shot in face testifies in homicide trial of Sophea Mouth
- Man suspected in another downtown Madison car break-in
- Pharmaceutical center in LaCrosse announces layoffs