This is a super-simple way to prepare home-made pickles.
2 1/2 pounds cucumbers (about 5 medium) 1 tablespoon salt 1 medium green pepper, sliced 1 medium onion, sliced 1-1/2 cups sugar 1 cup cider vinegar 1 teaspoon celery seed 1 teaspoon mustard seed
Slice unpeeled cucumbers into 1 inch cubes. Place in large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix gently and let stand for 1 hour.
Meanwhile combine green peppers, onions, sugar, vinegar, celery seed, and mustard seed in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Rinse cucumbers with cold water and drain. Place cucumbers in a plastic zip-lock bag. Pour vinegar solution over cucumbers. Refrigerate. Turn occasionally keeping cucumbers in the vinegar solution.
The pickles keep for weeks in the refrigerators.
Note: In place of a plastic bag, choose a bowl or jar that allows the vinegar-sugar solution to cover the cucumbers.
Nutritional Information per serving without the juice:
Calories: 20 Fat, gm.: 0 Protein, gm.: 0.5 Carb. gm.: 5 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber: 0.6
- Woman suffers broken nose from fruit thrown from balcony
- Glass packaging flaw prompts beer recall
- Winter weather could slow Wednesday commute
- $1M lottery ticket sold in Madison expires soon
- Men to be without safe, sober home with no live-in manager
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos