This is a surprisingly good dessert. It is an old recipe but adapted to be lower in calories. It was the most popular dessert at a recent party and everyone asked for the recipe.
- 1 box (18 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 can (30 ounces) mashed pure pumpkin
- 1 cup Splenda or sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk or fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. In a medium bowl, combine yellow cake mix, 1/2 cup melted butter and 1 egg. Beat just until mixed. Mixture should be slightly crumbly. Remove 1 cup of the batter and set aside. Press remaining batter evenly into bottom of baking pan. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine canned pumpkin, Splenda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, 2 eggs, and milk. Beat until smooth. Spoon mixture over the cake batter in the pan. Spoon reserved batter on top of the pumpkin layer.
In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Drizzle on top.
Bake for 60 - 70 minutes or until set.
Serve warm with whipped cream, frozen ice cream or yogurt.
*In place of 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, use ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ginger.
- Calories 210
- Fat, gm. 10
- Protein, gm. 2
- Carbs, gm. 28
- Cholesterol, mg. 45
- Fiber, gm. 1.3
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Local woman shares warning after credit card theft
- Bond reduced in UW-Stout student death case
- Madison police make arrest in downtown robbery
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving