This is as good as it looks. The spinach adds extra color and is loaded with fiber, vitamin A, and lutein -- great for your eyes! This recipe is for two but it can be easily doubled.
4 ounces penne pasta 1/2 tablespoon canola oil 1 medium onion, chopped 1 Italian chicken or turkey sausage link 2 ounces cream cheese 1 can (14 ounces) petite diced seasoned tomatoes 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional, to taste salt and pepper to taste 5 ounces fresh spinach
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Remove casing from sausage and add to skillet. Cook until brown. Crumble into small pieces. Add cream cheese and stir until it is softened. Add tomatoes, nutmeg, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
When ready to serve, add reserved pasta and heat through. Add fresh spinach and toss spinach in skillet to blend into pasta mixture. Cook until spinach is wilted.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 395 Fat, gm.: 13 Protein, gm.: 20 Carbs, gm.: 50 Cholesterol, mg.: 50 Fiber, gm.: 5.7
- Angler catches massive trout, doesn't count for state record
- Overtime to catch Jakubowski cost Rock County Sheriff's Office $80,000
- Grant County school bus crash injures two
- Milwaukee TV station receives letter from author claiming to be Jakubowski
- Drugged driving deaths surpass drunken driving fatalities
- Police: Man who threw May Day Molotov cocktail arrested in Elkhart