When tomatoes are plentiful, enjoy them in this fresh tasting pasta dish. Add extra color and flavor with basil and olives. Make it a vegetarian meal or add shrimp or chicken.
6 ounces penne pasta 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 large onion, thinly sliced 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning 1/2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade cut 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped 1 tablespoon lemon juice 8 ounces cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined** 5 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and chopped 1/2 cup pitted calamata or black olives salt and pepper to taste 3/4 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
In a large saucepan, boil pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Cook until mushrooms and onions are beginning to brown. Add basil, parsley, lemon juice, and cooked shrimp. Cook for5 minutes. Add tomatoes and olives. Cook just until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Add half of the cheese. Place hot pasta in large serving bowl and spoon sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese or pass additional cheese at the table.
*Choose a whole wheat pasta or Barilla Plus for extra fiber.
**Substitute cooked chicken if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 390 Fat, gm.: 13 Protein, gm.: 28 Carbs, gm.: 41 Cholesterol, mg.: 120 Fiber, gm.: 6.0
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK