You won?t believe how rich and creamy this tastes but it is very low in fat and calories compared to the usual Alfredo sauce. Prepare the sauce and add any cooked vegetables of your choice. You can also add chicken or seafood and serve it on your favorite cooked pasta.
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups fat-free milk*
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
4 ounces Neufchatel reduced fat cream cheese
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/3 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste
16 ounces frozen or fresh mixed vegetables, cooked
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms, sauteed
1 thinly sliced red pepper, sauteed
1/2 pound cooked chicken, shrimp, or scallops
In a large saucepan, cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, rinse, and set aside. In a medium heavy saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, white pepper, and wine. Heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked vegetables and chicken or seafood as desired. Heat through. If sauce is too thick, add extra milk to thin.
Serve on cooked pasta of your choice.
*Other milk such as 2% or whole milk would work well in this recipe.
Nutritional Information per serving without the pasta:
Calories 235 Fat, gm. 13 Protein, gm. 17 Carbs, gm. 13 Cholesterol, mg. 95 Fiber, gm. 1.8 g
- Downtown homicide victim's roommate: Victim was likely trying to help the man who killed him
- Vet: Quick action saved dog who swallowed nails; Humane Society: 'This is now on our radar'
- State receives $20,000 grant to combat drugged driving
- Janesville police share internet safety tips for parents
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Congress considers removal of FDA oversight to e-cigarettes