This is one of those appetizers spreads that taste so good and yet you can enjoy without guilt. Serve it with firm crackers or baguette French bread. Double the recipe for a big party.
1 small onion, finely chopped 1/2 tablespoon olive oil 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped 1 tablespoon white wine 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 4 ounces low fat Neufchatel cream cheese 1/4 cup chopped green olives dash red pepper flakes, optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
In a small skillet cook onions in oil over moderately high heat until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add wine, Worcestershire sauce, and cream cheese. Stir over low heat until mixture is completely blended. Remove from heat. Stir in olives and red pepper flakes. Spoon onto a small serving plate or bowl. Top with walnuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. It is best to add the nuts just before serving. This recipe can easily be doubled.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 25 Fat, gm. 2 Protein, gm. 1 Carbs, gm. 1 Cholesterol, mg. 5 Fiber, gm. .2
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Four displaced in west side apartment fire
- 'Peaceful' protests, candlelight vigil held in Madison over Trump inauguration
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- Classes teach Madisonians how to keep backyard bees
- Judge orders suspended UW student to face trial
- First responders urge people to stay off ice this weekend