This is one of those appetizers spreads that taste so good and yet you can enjoy without guilt. Serve it with firm crackers or baguette French bread. Double the recipe for a big party.
1 small onion, finely chopped 1/2 tablespoon olive oil 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped 1 tablespoon white wine 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 4 ounces low fat Neufchatel cream cheese 1/4 cup chopped green olives dash red pepper flakes, optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
In a small skillet cook onions in oil over moderately high heat until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add wine, Worcestershire sauce, and cream cheese. Stir over low heat until mixture is completely blended. Remove from heat. Stir in olives and red pepper flakes. Spoon onto a small serving plate or bowl. Top with walnuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to serve. It is best to add the nuts just before serving. This recipe can easily be doubled.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 25 Fat, gm. 2 Protein, gm. 1 Carbs, gm. 1 Cholesterol, mg. 5 Fiber, gm. .2
Donna L. Weihofen, R.D., M.S. Nutritionist, University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
- Extra patrols added for spring party
- Shirtless female toddler on splash pad sparks debate
- Teacher confesses to sex with student in classroom
- Madison police find bullet in apartment on Russett Road
- Madison police investigate shots fired, crash
- Madison police investigating armed robbery at Oakcrest Tavern