This quiche is a real taste treat and the bonus is that it is surprisingly low in calories. The mushrooms add the flavor without a high fat crust.
2 tablespoons butter or margarine 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped salt and pepper 1 ounce (10 small) Ritz or saltine crackers, finely crushed 8 ounces (2 cups) shredded Swiss cheese, divided 4 ounces low fat turkey sausage 3/4 cup diced green onions 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, 3 eggs 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper dash paprika
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9 inch pie pan. In a medium skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms and cook until tender and most of the moisture from the mushrooms have been absorbed. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add crackers and stir until well mixed. Spoon into pie pan and press firmly in the bottom. Set aside.
Add sausage and cook over medium heat until sausage is cooked through. Add onions and cook 1 minute. Spoon into mushroom crust. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. In a food processor, combine cottage cheese, eggs, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth. Pour egg mixture into crust. Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese. Sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for 35-45 minutes or until lightly brown and the middle is set.
Note: Precooked low fat sausage can also be used.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 215 Fat, gm.: 14 Protein, gm.: 16 Carbs, gm.: 7 Cholesterol, mg.: 110 Fiber, gm.; 0.6
- Man charged in fatal shooting of sheriff's deputy
- PD: Man hit in head, robbed during believed stereo equipment sale
- Wisconsin farmers could be affected by late cabinet pick
- Judge denies motions to dismiss 4 charges against Alec Cook
- MFD: 1 suffers minor injury in rollover crash on John Nolen Drive
- Woman accused of stabbing acquaintance turns herself in to police