I love the subtle flavor of this delectable light soup. Serve it as a first course or add ham or chicken and serve it for a supper soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 2 cups chopped onions 12 ounces sliced mushrooms (4 cups) 1 teaspoon minced garlic 6 cups fat-free chicken broth, divided 1/3 cup barley, pearled 1 tablespoons soy sauce 3 tablespoons sherry 1 cup shredded or finely diced carrots salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add 4 cups of broth, barley, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and continue to boil gently for 45 - 60 minutes or until barley is tender. Add carrots and sherry and cook 5 more minutes or until carrots are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add additional broth if needed to thin to desired consistency.
Note: Add diced ham or chicken if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 145 Fat, gm.: 4 Protein, gm.: 5 Carbs, gm.: 22 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 4.8
- Officials ID fatal Grant County crash victim
- Police: Electronics taken from Boscobel home Friday
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks