I love the subtle flavor of this delectable light soup. Serve it as a first course or add ham or chicken and serve it for a supper soup.
1 tablespoon canola oil 2 cups chopped onions 12 ounces sliced mushrooms (4 cups) 1 teaspoon minced garlic 6 cups fat-free chicken broth, divided 1/3 cup barley, pearled 1 tablespoons soy sauce 3 tablespoons sherry 1 cup shredded or finely diced carrots salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add 4 cups of broth, barley, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and continue to boil gently for 45 - 60 minutes or until barley is tender. Add carrots and sherry and cook 5 more minutes or until carrots are tender. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Add additional broth if needed to thin to desired consistency.
Note: Add diced ham or chicken if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories: 145 Fat, gm.: 4 Protein, gm.: 5 Carbs, gm.: 22 Cholesterol, mg.: 0 Fiber, gm.: 4.8
- UW-Madison chosen by U.S DOT to test automated vehicles
- Janesville robotics team among top 10 in global competition, moves to final round
- EPA grant freeze could ‘pull rug out from under' UW-Madison research
- Man on trial for deadly shooting says he was fearful for his life
- Suspected serial thief steals again, police say
- State manufacturing tax credit continues to grow