This recipe uses an interesting blend of spices. Sage is a flavorful herb that comes primarily from the Mediterranean and British cooking is partial to sage. Many people believe that sage helps promote a long and healthy life.
1 tablespoon olive oil 1 large onion, finely chopped 1 cup long-grain white rice 1/2 teaspoon ground sage 1/4 teaspoon coriander 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups fat-free chicken broth 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted 1/2 cup dried cranberries 1/4 cup chives, chopped
In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add rice, sage, coriander, cinnamon, and salt. Stir over medium-hot heat until rice is lightly browned. Remove from heat and carefully add broth. Return to heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover pan. Broil gently for 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in pine nuts, dried cranberries, and chives.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 205 Fat, gm. 5 Protein, gm. 4 Carb. gm. 36 Cholesterol, mg. 0 Fiber, gm. 1.6
- Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S8 first look
- Chief: Monday was 'horribly compelling night of crime' in Madison
- New gallery showcases visually impaired artists, proves creativity has no boundaries
- Attorney: Jakubowksi traveled mostly on foot, was headed to South Dakota
- Lettuce, other produce prices double due to wet California winter, experts say
- State Legislature set to give wells bill final OK