This is a flavorful, hearty soup that will be great for a Super Bowl supper.
1 tablespoon canola oil 1 large onion, chopped 1/2 pound low fat Italian sausage 4 cloves garlic, minced 28 ounces canned diced seasoned tomatoes 15 ounces canned great northern beans 15 ounces canned garbanzo beans 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary 1/2 teaspoon dried basil 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon sugar salt and pepper to taste
4 cups small leaves of fresh spinach grated parmesan cheese, optional
In a large soup pot, heat oil. Cook onions over medium heat until translucent. Cut sausage in bite size pieces.
Add to pan and cook until brown. Discard any fat that accumulates. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, beans, potatoes, chicken broth, and all spices except salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 1 - 3 hours or until potatoes are tender and soup is reduced to desired consistency. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Add fresh spinach 5 minutes before ready to serve. Serve in individual soup bowls and top with grated cheese if desired.
Nutritional Information per serving:
Calories 340 Fat, gm. 10 Protein, gm. 15 Carb. gm. 48 Cholesterol, mg. 20 Fiber, gm. 8.5 (very high)
- Armed robberies in Monona, Madison may be connected, Monona PD says
- Widow of slayed Racine man wants ban of hollow-point bullets
- Wisconsin tribes clash in casino expansion fight
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- Find of device that looked like military mortar causes scare
- Lawyers for man charged in killing accuse victim's boyfriend